Saturday, June 16, 2012

Longread #94 -- The Neuroscience of Choking -- 6/15/12

The stakes weren't especially high, but when it came to getting a new post up on Friday, I choked. In my case, I put the blame on vacation, which occupied pretty much all of my time and focus for the day. In other cases, though, some of the most talented and well-trained experts choke when the stakes are highest. This article from Jonah Lehrer, who has recently joined the New Yorker as a staff writer, examines the neuroscience behind choking. It's not a Malcolm Gladwell piece itself, but this kind of research is very much in the field that Gladwell writes about in Blink, so I think it counts toward the Gladwell theme for the week.

"The New Neuroscience of Choking" by Jonah Lehrer
Published in the New Yorker, June 5, 2012

4 comments:

  1. Bron doesn't constantly choke...I get the point, it makes sense. Over thinking things. The science behind it. I've noticed it playing frisbee, when you just huck it you're fine but then when you have a bad throw or two, then you start to think and it goes down hill. the mechanic get messed up. that's where sports psycology become so interesting, in the ability to create mental tools that can center you and pull you out of that tailspin. Certain "rituals" that you can revert to to either clear or focus the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely true. I've noticed it most in bowling and beer pong -- two games that are all about repeating the same motion. In his book, Lehrer talks about studies that reference using a "holistic cue word" (like "balance" or "smooth" or what have you) instead of a specific thing you are focusing on (like "square up your elbow"). I personally use a song as the ritual instead of a word, and I've had a lot of success with that method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It simply a strategy to calm down the mind. It helps to clear extraneous thought and get back to the "unthinking" action that you have done so many times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found a radio story that talks about how this applies in baseball too: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/462/own-worst-enemy?act=1

    ReplyDelete