Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Longread #159 -- What's So Hot About Chili Peppers -- 9/25/12

As someone who loves spicy food and has even tried stupid challenges like eating the "Hell Wing" at a local bar, I found this article to be extremely interesting. The history of chilis is fascinating -- I didn't know until just a few months ago that chilis were native to South America. It was shocking to me that something so central to cuisines in other places (such as Thai food) has only been available for a few hundred years. I also love the profile of this scientist and how engaged he is by his research.

Enjoy this article, and please pass the Sriracha...

"What's So Hot About Chili Peppers?" by Brendan Borrell
Published in Smithsonian Magazine, April 2009
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/Whats-So-Hot-About-Chili-Peppers.html?c=y&story=fullstory

Eric

2 comments:

  1. Remember when i rubbed hot sauce in my eyes? That was fun. Interesting look at evolution and determining what is really taking place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was great. I remember after eating that wing that I immediately ran down the street to Dairy Queen for some soft-serve. What a day.

    ReplyDelete