Friday, September 21, 2012

Longread #157 -- Macklemore -- 9/21/12

Macklemore is one of Seattle's most popular homegrown rappers. Even though he's been gaining recognition nationwide and among the more traditional rap industry, he has continued to make songs about local matters and controversial social issues. In this profile, Macklemore explains his reasons for recording "Same Love," which argues in favor of legalizing same sex marriage, an issue that is one the ballot in Washington in November. While he's far from the first musician to make political statements and while I think this song isn't his best, I really enjoyed reading this profile. In particular, I found his discussion of love vs. fear to be insightful. Below, I've tried to embed audio links of "Same Love" and another track called "Victory Lap" that I really enjoy. I also posted a video of his called "Thrift Shop," which not only celebrates my love of thrift stores but also was shot largely in my favorite thrift store -- the Capitol Hill Value Village.

"Fear and Loving" by Larry Mizell, Jr.
Published in the Stranger, July 31, 2012
http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/fear-and-loving/Content?oid=14331117

Happy Friday...enjoy the tunes.

Eric




No comments:

Post a Comment