Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Longread #79 -- The New French Hacker-Artist Underground -- 5/23/12

Sometimes when I find these articles to read, I assume from the title that I know what the article will be about or how I will respond to it. This is an instance in which my predictions were completely off-base. On general principle, if you put "French" and "Hacker-Artist" in a story headline, I'm inclined to think I'll hate the article and probably everyone profiled in it. So it was a wonderful surprise to read this story about a group of people in France who utilize the city's underground tunnel system to create artistic spaces and conduct "hacking" projects that essentially amount to sophisticated public works. Reading about some of their exploits was fascinating, adn the off-putting reaction of the French government only makes the story that much more interesting.

"The New French Hacker-Artist Underground" by Jon Lackman
Published in Wired, January 20, 2012
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2012/01/ff_ux/all/1

Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment