Monday, May 21, 2012

Longread #77 -- Jon Kitna's Greatest Play -- 5/21/12

Jon Kitna's story of going from teacher-to-be to NFL quarterback to actually being a teacher is both touching and remarkable. I love that even though he could live comfortably without working again in his life, he stayed true to what was important to him and followed through on something he was passionate about. Read this one and smile.

"Jon Kitna's Greatest Play" by Danny O'Neill
Published in the Seattle Times, May 19, 2012
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2018240060_kitna20.html?cmpid=2628

Eric

4 comments:

  1. A feel good story? A bit below your typical depth Mr. Suni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you have to mix things up...it was a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a story about a rich guy who basically took a coaching job. As I've had you do all of my research since high school i'm not going to say I could find a "feel good" story with more depth to it but i will say that I bet you could.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it were just about a rich guy doing something nice, I don't think this would have resonated with me as much.

    Instead, this is a guy who wasn't rich and wasn't planning to be. He applied for the teaching job BEFORE he was even invited to Seahawks training camp when he was undrafted out of college. He then went on to play in the NFL for years and make millions. As soon as he finished playing, though, he went right back to the job and took it on with an amazing passion and energy.

    You are right, though, that there are probably better feel good stories. But I found this one to be timely, local, and somewhat unique, so I decided to post it. Sometimes we need proof that it's not all doom-and-gloom.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete