Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Longread #63 -- A New View of Conservation -- 5/1/12

In discussing yesterday's article about noise pollution, I mentioned my concerns about Gordon Hempton's views of unspoiled or pristine natural environments. This article provides more context for these concerns. In the article, the authors advocate for an updated view of conservation that is less about maintaining unaffected areas (like nature preserves, parks, etc.) and instead tries to establish ways for humans and their surroundings to interact in dynamic and positive ways. While this view of conservation may be unsettling for many, I believe it to be a far more pragmatic, holistic, and ultimately more sustainable way of conceptualizing how we can and should shape our environment.

"Conservation in the Anthropocene" by Peter Kareiva, Robert Lalasz, and Michelle Marvier
Published in Breakthrough Journal, Fall 2011
http://breakthroughjournal.org/content/authors/peter-kareiva-robert-lalasz-an-1/conservation-in-the-anthropoce.shtml

Eric

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about this a lot since my background is in environmental education. I've held a subconscious belief that large tracts of 'wilderness' are the best and should be preserved without question. This article really opened up my mind to other ways to think about nature and how we relate to it as hikers, conservationists, and - in a deeper way - spiritually. I thought of being in the 'wilderness' as the only way to satisfy my nature-quota. Now I am able to think about it in other ways and really analyze what 'wilderness' means and if it is sustainable.

    I read this article today about a guy who has found a small plot of woods (near a golf course and a housing development) that provides his nature-quota in a way I used to think only wilderness could. He argues that taking the time to really look, listen, and experience even a small part of nature can satisfy our need for wilderness.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/23/science/david-haskell-finds-biology-zen-in-a-patch-of-nature.html?_r=0

    Thanks for posting the long read article, Eric. It is making me question long-held beliefs about wilderness and what it takes for me to satisfy my nature quota. Combined with the article above, I can now begin to experience nature in new, expanded ways.

    ReplyDelete