Friday, August 2, 2013

Longread #360 -- Making the Case for Eating Fruit -- 8/2/13

Over the past month or so, I've had a number of conversations with people about diet, carbs, fat, and weight loss. Many of the people that I spoke with had success with low-carb diets, and in general, I find the case for reducing most carbs to be compelling. However, several of the people I spoke with said that they had given up fruit in order to avoid the sugars present in fruits. At the time, I disagreed with this approach, but I was struggling to explain why. Thankfully, this article helps. Fruit is tasty, filling, full of other nutrients, and is quite different from other carbohydrate sources (especially ones with refined sugars). I think including fruit in one's diet can be immensely helpful in dietary adherence, and as such, the benefits dramatically outweigh the risks. There may be a small subset of the population so sensitive to carbs that even small amounts of fruit is enough to cause weight problems, but I think that for the vast majority of people, fruit should be a dietary staple.

"Making the Case for Eating Fruit" by Sophie Egan
Published in the New York Times Well Blog, July 31, 2013

Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment