Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Longread #322 -- The Genius of QVC -- 5/22/13

I post this article today in honor of my parents who I will be visiting soon. Growing up, it sometimes seemed like every day that I came home from school that there would be a new QVC box by the front door. While I'm sure there were some products that we used extensively (the Gorge Foreman Grill, for example), for the most part, these QVC goods ended up collecting dust. Nevertheless, it never turned my parents away from watching, especially "In the Kitchen With Bob." Frankly, I wouldn't mind one bit if I never saw another minute of QVC.

"The Genius of QVC" by Megan McArdle
Published in the Atlantic, May 11, 2010

Eric

1 comment:

  1. Oh the memories of QVC boxes on your front porch! Interesting to read about the use of 2 common sales themes in their work, telling stores and encouraging "imagination." I never thought that the QVC people had any real sales ability but surprisingly after reading that article i'm impressed by the tactic they take. It shows a strong understanding of human psychology that most people, or sales people, don't have.

    ReplyDelete